Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Shoplifting Mickey Mouse

So, today I took Lily to the mall to go visit Santa. On the way to see Santa Mike asked her what she was going to ask for(via the cellphone), and she said candy canes and daddy. Last year she screamed bloody murder at Santa, so I figured that if I took her to see a Santa a few times this year maybe she would get comfortable enough for a non-screaming photo. However, all she did was hide behind me the whole time. She wouldn't even get close enough to take a candy cane. On our way out of the mall, we passed the Disney store. Lily's eyes got super big and I figured, "why not?" Lily ran straight to the big mound of plush animals that lies along the back wall of every Disney store. First she grabbed Donald Duck, but she dropped him in a second once she saw... Mickey.
She grabbed him, hugged him, and headed for the register saying "me buy Mickey."
I informed her that we couldn't buy Mickey, but maybe we could ask Santa for Mickey. I had to repeat this a few times for it to sink in, and then she took off, running out of the store. I was a little shocked, and just called after her for a few seconds, "Lily, wait...Lily, come back." To which I received the prompt response, "ask Santa for Mickey." She never even broke her stride. All of a sudden it clicked...she was taking the mickey to Santa to ask for him. Obviously I then began my pursuit. She only got down a store or two before I caught her. The funniest part, the sales people didn't even bat an eye at my kid running off with their plush doll. Obviously we then returned the Mickey to his mound, and I had to haul Lily to the car kicking and screaming. Lesson learned- next time I will choose my words a little more carefully.

2 comments:

Laura Beers said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....that was so funny! Lily is so smart. She knew what to do to get what she wanted!

Peyton loves Santa and approaches any Santa she sees. She has figured out that they give out candy canes. We are too cheap to take a picture with Santa at the mall but we have ran across Santas at various locations this season.

ABranch said...

You need to find a mickey mouse Santa! LOL!